Decision-making in Projects is a key skill that many project personnel struggle with. Project Management has evolved into a discipline of high-level decision making and the aim of this GLOMACS Decision Making in Projects training course is to help augment the intuition of a Project Manager and project team members taking and making decisions. It’s extremely useful to recognise that the ability to make good, solid decisions can make the difference between delivering projects successfully or leading towards failure.
Some find making decisions extremely difficult – it’s not always the actual decision per se. Some people are naturally creative, have the ability to think out of the box, but we may have to ensure that they are weighed up against the operational constraints or time, cost, quality and with an awareness of any associated risks.
This GLOMACS Project Management training seminar on Decision Making in Projects will help to build, develop and hone the essential skills needed to improve decision-making in a dynamic project workforce, with the key areas of constraint being time, cost and scope having the ability to affect a project’s outcome. We will consider what must be done to maintain these three constraints and any associated risks.
This GLOMACS training seminar will highlight:
- Learn how to diagnose a decision situation and design an efficient process to make the decision
- Use decision quality principles and differences in framing, information, and preferences to jointly create greater value and reach win-win solutions in multi-party situations
- Prepare for and conduct negotiations and deal with difficult negotiation tactics
- Lead the decision process and effectively facilitate meetings
- Manage interpersonal and organisational dynamics to facilitate agreement and clarity of action
- Leverage information sharing and a relationship frame to maximise the value for each party
- Learn skills to allow project team members to guide dialogue among those who outrank you
This GLOMACS Project Management training seminar on Decision Making in Projects intends to guide successful projects based on intelligent and well-founded decisions to be made, escalated and carried out to assist project delivery.
Some of the key techniques that delegates will encounter on this GLOMACS training course:
- Problem Solving Models
- Objectives and Analytical Techniques
- Recognising and Comparing Different Options
- Recognising Barriers to Effective Problem Solving
- Perceptual Processes
- Consideration of Politics, Escalation and Entrapment
Participants will receive a thorough training on the subjects covered with the instructor utilising a variety of proven adult learning teaching and facilitation techniques. Seminar methodology includes an insight into decision-making methods and project constraint considerations. In addition, industry best-practice tools and processes will be introduced and used as practice examples. This GLOMACS Project Management training seminar on Decision Making in Projects includes teamwork around an applicable case study, group discussion and critical analysis of actual projects.
Project organisations would benefit from having personnel who have the key skills to make good project decisions. Having project managers or team members with the skills to make decisions in a creative yet analytical manner would hugely benefit projects being delivered in a successful manner.
Participants who can hone their decision-making skills will be more confident, comfortable and satisfied with their roles in their projects. Having confidence based on past-performance will allow participants to develop their own inherent skills and hence their own careers.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone who finds that they need to make decisions in projects and wish to develop the appropriate skills to improve this position would be most welcome to attend this GLOMACS Project Management training seminar. Anyone who plans to develop their own role in projects and feels that decision-making is an area to be improved will gain many useful skills to assist in this important area.
This GLOMACS training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Project Decision Makers
- Procurement Professionals
- Project Managers
- Project Management Professionals
- Estimating Personnel
- Related Project Support Managers
- Project Control and Business Services Professionals who have the responsibility for planning and controlling project schedules and costs in client and contracting companies
Fundamentals of Project Management
- Projects Decision-Making Opportunities
- Project Life Cycles and Stage Gates
Project Context in the Oil & Gas Industry
- Appreciation of Macro-environment in Relation to Projects
- Understand Who Stakeholders are and How they may impact upon the project
- Project Preparation & Planning Responsibilities
Project Leadership Skills
- Learn what decision leadership is?
- Understand the Project Organisation and How decision-making differs
- Project Manager – Unique Requirements
- Leadership Styles
- Build an executive leadership style that creates trust, sets a clear vision, and guides the team toward greater performance
- Consider implications of unclear roles and responsibilities to project success
- General Decision-making Concepts
- Types of Decision Models
- The Decision-making Process
Using Risk to Assist in Decision-Making
- Planning and Identifying Risk
- Analysing the Key Areas of the Project
- Measuring and Managing Risk
- Evidence Based Decision Making
- Multi-criteria Scoring Model
- Analytic Hierarchy Process
How to Display a Decision Problem?
- Decision Tables
- Decision Trees
- Influence Diagrams
- Monte-Carlo Simulations
How to Evaluate a Decision?
- Review Decisions Made
- Use Root-cause Models to Evaluate Decisions
- Evaluate Effectiveness of Decision
- Consider the Way Forward
- Capture Lessons-learned
- On successful completion of this training course, GLOMACS Certificate with eligible Continuing Professional Education credits (CPE) from National Registry of CPE Sponsor and Professional Development Units (PDUs) / Contact Hours from Project Management Institute (PMI®), will be awarded to the delegates
Share this Course:
Endorsed Education Provider
REP logo, PMI & PMP are registered trademarks of Project Management Institute, Inc.
In Association With
Oxford Management Centre
A GLOMACS - Oxford Management Centre collaboration aimed at providing the best training services and benefits to our valued clients.