Business planning is an essential management tool enabling an enterprise both to succeed in a global marketplace and to be accountable to its shareholders, but the process must be supported by effective project management to ensure that plans do not become merely decorative “shelfware”.
Too often, business planning is an onerous annual chore driven by financial numbers alone, instead of a powerful method of defining and delivering profitable change for the organization.
This short GLOMACS Practical Business Planning Workshop, demonstrates a practical and robust method to produce a business vision, based on analysis and debate, which is then delivered through a coherent programme of projects delivered by engaged and accountable managers. The emphasis here is on practical hands-on training in use of the methodology.
This GLOMACS workshop will feature:
- What does a good plan look like?
- What is the practical payoff for the organization?
- Organizing and Resourcing a regular annual time-bound exercise
- Demonstration of a simple and robust process to generate a powerful plan
- Getting the right people around the table in the right setting with the right mind-set
By the end of this GLOMACS workshop, participants will be able to:
- Design and deliver a business planning process which suits their business
- Mobilize the resources and information required to produce a robust business plan
- Analyze their business environment to develop a plan which will deliver the “business vision”
- Finalize and communicate a business plan to the stakeholders affected by the plan
- Direct and manage the delivery of the plan through a coherent PRINCE2 programme
This GLOMACS Practical Business Planning workshop will use a variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. This includes classroom based learning with a competitive practical team element. Case studies and practical simulations of the business plan processes producing outline plans for a case study client. Production of a plan for an imaginary company with role-play exercises using the proven methodology.
Who Should Attend?
This GLOMACS Practical Business Planning workshop is designed for senior and middle managers who are aspiring to general management positions and individuals seeking an understanding of this key element of the top manager’s tool kit. It is also relevant to C-level leaders looking to expand their businesses.
This GLOMACS workshop is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Senior Leaders in Marketing, Finance, Operations and HR functions
- Headquarters staff in complex organizations across all business sectors and public administration
- Departmental Heads responsible for components of the business plan
- Senior Programme and Project Management Staff
- Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) leaders aiming to grow their businesses
The Planning Workshop – Walk-through of the “Fishbone”© Method
- Using the Fishbone© approach to shape the problem for an imaginary client described in student case study material
- Appraisal of the Plan Start Point
- Formulation of the desired end-state
- Analysis of the “terrain of travel”
- Planning for Effectiveness
- Planning for Efficiency
The worked example
- Working up a business plan for “Planco Incorporated” using the “Fishbone”© Method
- Course members analyse the Planco Business Brief /case study – preparing their roles as Business Directors Preparing the Planco Business Plan
- Integrating Standard Analytical (Porter, Ansoff, Boston, PESTLE) tools in the process
- Considering the Delivery of the Plan – roles and responsibilities
- The Importance of Practical Delivery and Feedback Loops – “where the rubber meets the road!”
- The “proof of the pudding” - managing the delivery through a PRINCE 2 programme
- On successful completion of this training course, GLOMACS Certificate with eligible Continuing Professional Education credits (CPE) from National Registry of CPE Sponsor, will be awarded to the delegates.
- Continuing Professional Education credits (CPE) : In accordance with the standards of the National Registry of CPE Sponsor, one CPE credit is granted per 50 minutes of attendance.
Share this Course: