This GLOMACS dynamic workshop on Transformational Labour & Industrial Relations will provide participants with a thorough understanding of Labour and Industrial Relations (IR). Industrial Relations is concerned with the maintenance of the employment relationship, essentially how trade unions and management of an organisation interact.
Industrial Relations has undergone many changes over the past decade, but it continues to be a critical area for all organisations. Industrial Relations is about employers and unions communicating and negotiating effectively. It is about seeing the ‘big picture’ and helping the organisation take appropriate action to maintain good working relationships at all levels. This dynamic and interactive workshop will help you transform your industrial relations, so it meets the needs of all stakeholders over the coming decade.
This GLOMACS training workshop will highlight:
- Employee Relations (ER & IR) – What it is and What it should be?
- The economic, legal & social perspectives of IR
- The employment relationship and the psychological contract
- Negotiation skills for collective bargaining
- How to manage workplace conflict?
- An Introduction to Mediation Techniques
By the end of this GLOMACS Workshop, participants will learn to:
- Develop a collaborative approach to labour & industrial relations
- Examine techniques and methodologies for enhancing & transforming IR
- Appreciate the importance of employee engagement and empowerment
- Understand the people factors in IR
- Critically analyse the possibilities of effective conflict resolution
- Utilise mediation skills as a practical intervention into disputes
Participants in this GLOMACS Workshop will receive thorough training on the subjects covered by the Workshop outline with the facilitator utilising a variety of proven adult learning teaching and facilitation techniques.
This Workshop is very participatory and interactive. It involves skill practice in a group setting. Training methodology includes individual and group activities that will intersperse the sessions. A variety of practical sessions, relevant case studies, simulations, and group games and activities are programmed into this Workshop.
- An appreciation of the benefits of transformational IR in the workplace
- A focus on best-practices in labour and industrial relations
- Stronger labour management relations
- Reduced time and costs spent on grievance arbitration
- Promoting and supporting collaboration in negotiations
- Improve your effectiveness as a trade union delegate or official
- Develop practical, transferable skills and competencies
- Better understand the future of labour and industrial relations
- Practical skills in the practice of mediation
- Learn about the modern role of the union official or delegate
Who Should Attend?
- Union Delegates and Officials
- Employee Relations (ER) Personnel
- Industrial Relations (IR) Personnel
- Human Resource Management (HRM) Professionals who need to understand Industrial Relations & Employee Relations
- Those managers who would benefit from an understanding of trade union issues
- Anyone who wants to learn practical skills in labour negotiation and workplace mediation
Transformational Employee, Labour & Industrial Relations
- The Context for Labour, Employee & Industrial Relations
- Understanding the Functional Role of Trade Unions
- Trade Unionism in Africa, The Gulf, and Globally
- Current Trends in Employee & Industrial Relations
- The Nature of the Employment Relationship and the Psychological Contract
- Employee Relations: Economic, Legal & Social Perspectives
Vital People Factors in the Workplace
- Collective Negotiation and Consultation
- Techniques and Processes to Manage Grievances Efficiently
- Dignity at Work: Workplace Bullying Example
- The ‘Flexible Firm’ Model and the Labour Utilisation
- Involvement, Participation, and Employee Voice
Negotiation Skills for Collective Bargaining
- Collective Bargaining
- A Win-Win Approach to Negotiation
- Stages of Negotiation & the Coleman Raider “Bare-bones” Model
- Exploring Competition and Cooperation
- Introduction to Reframing Techniques
- Cultural Differences that Affect Negotiation and Collective Bargaining
Managing Conflict and Workplace Mediation Skills
- Understanding Conflict
- Analysing your Conflict Handling Behaviour (styles)
- Resolving and Managing Conflict – avoiding conflict escalation
- The Abilene Paradox and Avoiding Groupthink
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- Understanding Arbitration, Conciliation, and Mediation
Practical Techniques of Mediation
- The Mediation Processes
- Issues Suitable for Mediation
- The Mediator’s Role
- The 5-step Framework for Effective Mediation
- Reaching and Formalising Agreements
- Personal Action Planning
- On successful completion of this training course, GLOMACS Certificate with eligible Continuing Professional Education credits (CPE) from National Registry of CPE Sponsor and Re-Certification credits from HR Certification Institute (HRCI), will be awarded to the delegates.
Share this Course:
Endorsed Education Provider
The use of this seal confirms that this activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
In Association With
Oxford Management Centre
A GLOMACS - Oxford Management Centre collaboration aimed at providing the best training services and benefits to our valued clients.