Biostratigraphy is often run as a service in oil exploration & development for age and palaeoenvironmental interpretation. But the power that can be provided by critical insight of the data generated for detailed sequence analysis including unconformities and sequence breaks plus the identification of flooding and condensed surfaces and its use for facies identification (reservoir to non- reservoir) are often not optimally achieved. Subsequently neither are the desired high resolution stratigraphical correlations.
The integration of biostratigraphical data with seismic interpretations and sedimentological and petrographical data utilizes its power most efficiently. This GLOMACS Applied Biostratigraphy and Sequence Stratigraphy in Oil Exploration & Development online training seminar sets out to illustrate this best use. The pitfalls with the use of biostratigraphical data will be discussed, which often relates to the geological context in which formations were deposited. By identifying them and often then utilizing them with regards to understanding the geology, this helps to unlock the tool and with it a realization of the possibilities that optimum use of this technique can bring.
This GLOMACS online training seminar will introduce the applied use of biostratigraphy and sequence stratigraphy in both an exploration and development context with working examples from Africa, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and Europe, and will also cover both marine and non-marine sediments.
This GLOMACS online training seminar will include:
- An introduction to the different microfossil groups
- A discussion on the laws of stratigraphy and how biostratigraphy can be used to determine a chronostratigraphy
- Which microfossil groups to use for which age of sediments and how they are used as palaeoenvironmental indicators
- What pitfalls to look for and how these can lead to a better geological understanding
- How to use biostratigraphy and bio facies to identify key seismic markers
- How to integrate biostratigraphical data with other geological data (sedimentological, petrographical, geochemical) to maximize its use
- How to use integrated biostratigraphical data to build a high-resolution sequence stratigraphy
- How biostratigraphy can be used in play definition and for play based exploration
- Working examples of applied stratigraphy for exploration and development from Africa, Asia and Europe
By the end of this GLOMACS online training seminar, participants will be able to:
- Have knowledge of the different microfossil groups and in which ages of sediment and palaeoenvironment of deposition they can be utilized
- Develop an understanding of how biostratigraphical data can be integrated with other geological data to optimize its use as an interpretative tool
- Develop an enhanced interpretation skill to recognize key seismic markers and how to interpret these as a geological sequence by integrating biostratigraphical data
- Interpret palaeoenvironment of deposition by using biostratigraphical assemblages
- Use biostratigraphy as a predictive tool in exploration and development
This online training course will utilize a variety of proven online learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension, retention of the information presented. The training course is conducted Online via an Advanced Virtual Learning Platform in the comfort of any location of your choice.
For the organisation, the benefits will include:
- Optimum use of biostratigraphical data that is often acquired by an organisation but not fully utilized
- Planning of biostratigraphical analyses and programs for best results at a minimum cost
- Higher resolution reservoir correlations from exploration through to development situations (flow unit correlations for static models)
- Sequence and then facies interpretations and better reservoir prediction capabilities after integration with the seismic
- New play definitions and ultimately to new lead and prospect determination
- Rejuvenation of mature exploration areas with new ideas to find missed oil accumulations
- Generation of new exploration plays and concepts for wildcat drilling
The non-specialist geoscientist is often at a loss with how to best use biostratigraphical data from company reports. This GLOMACS Applied Biostratigraphy and Sequence Stratigraphy in Oil Exploration & Development online training seminar will provide the necessary technical know-how for the individual to feel comfortable with the utilization and the integration of this data into their everyday work flows.
This will aid their efforts in both the exploration for new hydrocarbons and in the development of existing fields.
- Provision of a practical working knowledge of different biostratigraphical techniques
- Understanding of how to plan and optimize a biostratigraphical program from which microfossils to process for, to optimum sample spacing
- Learn how to use best use biostratigraphical data in well to well correlations
- Learn how to identify the pitfalls in the use of biostratigraphical data and therefore to optimize its use in sediments of different ages and in different palaeoenvironments
- Learn how to use biostratigraphical data to identify sequences and sequence boundaries and how to integrate it with other geological and seismic data
- Learn how to use biostratigraphical data for new play definitions in exploration areas and how also it can be used for facies interpretations and reservoir correlations in appraisal and development situations
Who Should Attend?
This GLOMACS online training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Exploration Geologists
- Development Geologists
- Seismic Interpreters
- Upstream subsurface professionals who are interested in optimally utilizing geological data as a predictive tool in sedimentary basins and for identifying hydrocarbon plays in active petroleum systems